Saturday, August 13, 2011

17 Ways to Pull Back Your Bangs / Fringe


For those of you who have bangs: I know it can be frustrating to try to figure out what to do with them when you want them out of your face. I myself have very curly hair (my hair was straightened when I did this tutorial), which makes it especially difficult to have bangs. I either have to straighten them or pull them back somehow. In the summer I usually have to find a way to pull them back since the humidity makes my hair poof up if I try to straighten it. Below I've demonstrated different methods I have used. I apologize about being the model again--it couldn't be helped this time. I'm really tired of seeing my own face over and over again. Maybe my next posting will be about food...Oh--also, I've sort of had to make up names for many of these hairstyles because I have no clue what they're called in real life...
 Note: Originally I had only thought of 16 ways, but I was struck with additional inspiration...


1* The Jellyroll: Gather your bangs vertically, twist, and pin back.


2* Half Dutch Braid: Part your bangs  on one side of your head and dutch braid towards the furthest ear. Stop at the ear and pin.

Note: I highly recommend this YouTube video if you are unsure about how to do a Dutch Braid. Loepsie is my # 1 go-to person for all things hair. And she's Dutch! So, there...


3* Full Dutch Braid: Part your bangs 2 inches inward on one side of your head. Then dutch braid towards the furthest ear. Pause at the temple and gather enough of your longer hair to finish off the braid completely.


4* Half Two Strand Twist: Part your bangs on one side of your head and twist towards the furthest ear. Stop at the ear and pin. (I do this one really messy, but I kind of like it that way)
5* Full Two Strand Twist: Part your bangs 2 inches inward on one side of your head. Then twist towards the furthest ear. Pause at the temple and gather enough of your longer hair to finish off the twist completely.


 6* Roll-In: Part your bangs on one side of your head, and beginning at the part, roll/twist the hair inward. You can either fold it forward (as demonstrated in this picture), or backward (as shown in the picture below). Stop and pin once you reach the ear.
 7*Parted Roll-In: Same instructions as the above, except you begin by parting the bangs in the middle and rolling/twisting toward the respective ear.
8* Parted Pin Back: Part your bangs in the middle and brush/comb them flat toward either side. Pin near the ears.
Note: I like crisscrossing my hair pins because it's more secure that way.



9* Simple Pin-Back: Gather your bags, brush/comb them back, and pin them down near the center of your head.

10* I don't even know what to call this--The Light Bulb?....Gather your bangs, tie them up vertically (like a very short ponytail), then bend it over back wards and tuck it into the elastic.
Note: I prefer to wear this style with an updo.

11* Crazy Pin Down: Part your bangs on one side of your head and use lots of pins to pin them down. I like crisscrossing the pins.
12* The Headband!
13* The Pouf: Gather your bangs and brush/comb them vertically. Next, bend them back (like a rainbow:) and secure the ends with pins.
14*The... Triple Jellyroll?..Same instructions as "The Jellyroll" except you divide your bangs into three equal parts. You might also have to pin the ends down a bit more than usual because they will try to stick up.

15* The Ribbon
16* The Parted Full Dutch Braid: Part your bangs in the middle and dutch braid down either side.



17* The "Monk" Crown Braid: This is hard to explain. It's based off of a crown braid (which I think of as a dutch braid encircling the head), except I parted out a circle in the middle of my scalp (like the portion of hair that a monk is missing in the middle of his head) and separated it from the hair to be used to make the braid. I don't like wearing the legit crown braid on myself because the back of my head is flat, and my head is small in general. I promise you though, there's a brain in there somewhere!






2 comments:

  1. Thanks this is really useful! I'm planning on getting a side fringe, and I was worried that it would annoy me, but I plan on using all these styles, except for maybe the braids as my hair is really thick making me USELESS when it comes to braiding :D

    ReplyDelete